[b-hebrew] Exodus 12:11 - 12

kgraham0938 at comcast.net kgraham0938 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 31 12:21:16 EST 2006

There is also a link with PSX to a feast, here is the NET notes on the word.  But I would also take it as to limp by, pass by, spare as does HALOT. p 947...

28 tn The meaning of js^P# (pesah) is debated. (1) Some have tried to connect it to the Hebrew verb with the same radicals that means "to halt, leap, limp, stumble." See 1 Kgs 18:21 where the word describes the priests of Baal cavorting around the altar; also the crippled child in 2 Sam 4:4. (2) Others connect it to the Akkadian passahu, which means "to appease, make soft, placate"; or (3) an Egyptian word to commemorate the harvest (see Segal, The Passover, 95-100). The verb occurs in Isa 31:5 with the connotation of "to protect"; Childs suggests that this was already influenced by the exodus tradition (B. S. Childs, Exodus, 183, n. 11). Whatever links there may or may not have been that show an etymology, in this passage it is describing Yahweh's passing over or through.

--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 at comcast.net

From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il>