[b-hebrew] 1 Sam 1 and 2 -about Samuel or about Saul?

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Tue Jan 31 06:12:53 EST 2006

On 31/01/2006 10:41, Sesamo m. wrote:

>How can believers of the divine inspiration of the Bible deal with these
>ideas? I guess the answer for the second point is a question of exegesis and
>so out of place in this forum, but the first point has to do with the
>language itsef.

I would think that most believers in divine inspiration would consider
that the arguments which you have put forward are extremely weak and
would dismiss them without serious consideration. For I think we would
all agree that they are far from conclusive. There are many possible
explanations of the naming formula in 1:20, and the only thing
monarchist about the song is the last part of 2:10 which could easily be
a later addition although it could also be prophetic, or just an
indication of the popular longing for a king. (And this would hardly fit
with the birth of Saul either, for there was no king when Saul was born.)

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/