[b-hebrew] 1 Sam 1 and 2 -about Samuel or about Saul?

leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Jan 31 06:11:59 EST 2006

Dear Sergio,

I, for one, don't think that chapters 1-2 were originally about Saul. I do
agree, though, that the reason given for Samuel's name does seem to fit
"Saul" and not "Samuel", and I suspect that there may have originally BEEN
a story about the "miraculous" birth of Saul and his naming, which was
later "hidden" in the Samuel story, by an anti-Saul redactor.

Yigal