[b-hebrew] lehem: a curious thing

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 11:51:58 EST 2006

  In modern Egyptian colloquial language the same word is used for ' bread' and 'life' -- '(Eysh'.

   The Hebrew roots LH(.)M and H(.)YH  are totally separate.

    Uri

   Vadim wrote:

  I was browsing through the Gilgamesh yesterday, and noticed a common idiom, "bread, the essence of life." Now, my Sumerian could be fairly described as less-than-basic, and I cannot judge the translation.

The idiom reminded me of Hebrew lehem, bread. Could it have originated as le-haiim? Just a curious possibility. I know that the related meanings of lhm root are well established.

Vadim Cherny