[b-hebrew] Job 2:4 Skin for Skin

Alexander Oldernes alexander at oldernes.no
Tue Jan 24 03:22:40 EST 2006

`WR B`D-`WR

Alternative translations of B`D is "away from" or "in behalf of".

I've always thought of it as "take some skin away from his skin",
or that the skin is in connection with "life" - "Skin in behalf of skin! ... He will give it in behalf of his life".
`WR B`D-`WR ... B`D NPSHW

Satan thought of Job as a selfish person that even would trade his life to escape from his "missing skin".
He therefore gave him a skin desease (2:7,8) and influenced his wife to suggest that he should trade his life for relief (2:9).

Alexander Oldernes
Norway