[b-hebrew] Hebrew keyboard & font size

Herman Meester crazymulgogi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 17:29:04 EST 2006

2006/1/19, Peter Kirk <peter at qaya.org>:
> On 19/01/2006 19:13, Dave Washburn wrote:

> >The one real caveat about Linux: it will force you to know something about how
> >your computer works.  But that's not necessarily a bad thing.
> >

> This was the main point I was trying to make. If you run Linux you can't
> just rely on the experts to come and fix a problem for you, you have to
> fix it yourself, even if you can find online help from others. In some
> ways I wish everyone was a computer expert, but many people just don't
> have the time or ability for this, and at the moment Linux cannot be
> recommended for them - at least if they are working with cutting edge
> technology like display of Hebrew.

Peter,
if it's purely the issue of proper display of Hebrew we're talking
about, then there is really no reason why Linux would be harder to use
than Windows. If someone had a PC and would want to install a (more or
less fresh) Linux DVD or CD on it (available with any Linux magazine
just about any month of the year), it would take less than an hour (of
merely waiting!) to -easily- install the entire OS and desktop
environment; during installation, just activate a few packages with a
few mouseclicks (like a few nice fonts and the SCIM input method) and
Hebrew is properly displayed everywhere and you can type it, in any
field, right to left, with any shortcut you'd like to give to it.
I can hardly imagine that in Windows it's any different, or even
easier, but I haven't used Windows for a few years, I have to admit.
Regards,
Herman