[b-hebrew] music in Hebrew [was Re: Long: *Some* Bib for Bryan]

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Sat Jan 14 12:03:53 EST 2006

On 14/01/2006 07:46, Rochelle Altman wrote:

>If we are adding a final vowel (CV), then we must add a vowel after each
>consonant. We are using ADONAI because that's the only pronunciation we
>have. We have the psalm formula for the 96th; we also have the bilingual to
>check one against the other.  Note that the addition of final vowels
>changes the meter.
>
>MT:
>shiru l'Adonai   shir hadash
>shiru l'Adonai   kol ha-aretz.
>
>Final vowels added to all C:
>shiru le Adonai shira hadasha
>shiru le Adonai kola ha-artza

Surely we would have to add a vowel also to the end of Adonai, for this
should really be written Adonay as in Hebrew it ends with a full
consonantal yod. But I'm not sure about adding a vowel to the l- prefix,
because the alef in l'Adonay is silent in the Masoretic pointing and
could already have been silent at the earlier time we are considering,
as it surely always was in ro'sh.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/