[b-hebrew] Who is "him" at Daniel 11:1?

Sesamo m. sesamox at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 9 07:00:25 EST 2006

The 1599 Geneva Study Bible states:
11:1 Also I in the first year of Darius the Mede, [even] I, a stood to
confirm and to strengthen him.

(a) The angel assures Daniel that God has given him power to perform these
things, seeing that he appointed him to assist Darius when he overcame the
Chaldeans.

So, this commentary assumes that "him" is Darius. However, if we read the
preceding verses, which were written without a break, we could also
understand that "him" is "Michael", and the allusion to Darius is a mere
indication of the year.

Could you tell me some arguments for and against this interpretation?

Thanks
Sergio