[b-hebrew] Theophoric Name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

Rochelle Altman willaa at netvision.net.il
Mon Jan 9 01:33:56 EST 2006

At 06:13 AM 1/9/2006, Harold Holmyard wrote:

>Rochelle Altman wrote:
>
> >(I did write up a requested report on the Zoilos Inscription; it's in the
> >article archives on Orion.)
> >

>HH: How does one get there, please? Looking up data in the B-Hebew
>archives requires a month, and I do not see it in the last two. Is Orion
>another storage place, or a subject heading, or a web site? Thanks.
>
>Yours,
>Harold Holmyard

Dear Harold,

ORION is the Center for the Study of the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Hebrew
University of Jerusalem. The e-list has closed, but the site is still
operative with bibliographies and articles remaining available.

Zoilos is at:

http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il/orion/programs/Altman/Altman00.shtml

Regards,

Rochelle
R.I.S. Altman, PhD

PS: Jack, if the WAW was only vocalic, then somebody had better explain why
the ca. 9th-BCE so-called digamma of Ionian Greek is the *consonantal*  VAV
-- that's why it was later dropped.  The voiced phoneme was covered by
voiced beta and the unvoiced phoneme was covered by phi. The vocalic WAW is
upsilon. WAW is also consonantal in the earliest Etruscan (ca. 10th-8th BCE).