[b-hebrew] Theophoric Name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Sun Jan 8 13:26:45 EST 2006

On 07/01/2006 21:18, Rolf Furuli wrote:

>Arguments must be evaluated on the basis of quality and not on the basis
>of quantity.  Please give a scholarly answer to the following question:
>In the Elephantine letters we find the letters YHW for the god that was
>worshipped by the community. What are the Aramaic  (or Hebrew)
>*phonological* reasons for pronouncing these three letters as YAHU?  Are
>there any phonological reasons that forbids that the three letters are
>consonants and that they were pronounciated YEHOWA, or YAHOWA, or
>YEHOWE, or YAHOWA?

Or for that matter YEHAWA, YEHIWA etc? Or YAHWE, YAHWA etc? Since you
are making the W here a consonant, there is no reason to read a long O
vowel here, rather than another vowel or a silent sheva. And in fact it
is rare to have a long O vowel not marked with a vav (which, by the way,
Jack, is the internationally standardised name for the sixth letter of
the Hebrew alphabet, regardless of pronunciation as [v], [w] or a
vowel). So, if the original pronunciation was something like YEHOWA,
with both a long O vowel and a consonantal vav, one would expect that
someone somewhere would have written a double vav here. But as far as I
know no one ever had. I think that is quite a strong argument against
forms like Jehovah.

Rolf, if you accept, as you seem to, that the theophoric prefix was
pronounced something like YEHO- with the vav as a vowel (and not for
example YEHAWA- with a consonantal vav), your arguments would seem to
imply that the vav in the full divine name is also a vowel. That would
in fact suggest that the full divine name is something like YEHO or
YAHU, with the final he as a redundant mater lectionis. This form would
also explain the variants YHW and YHH, with the redundancy removed.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/