[b-hebrew] Theophoric Name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Sun Jan 8 01:55:18 EST 2006

Dear Kelton,

Arguments in favor of a particular pronunciation of a word can be tricky,
because pronunciation change through time, and even at the same time there
may be different ways of pronouncing the same word. For example, the
Norwegian word for snow is pronounced as "sne," "snö," and "sny" in
different parts of the country. However, the pronunciation of YHWH may have
been preserved when the pronunciation of other words changed, because of its
importance.

In any case, what we can learn regarding syllable number and pronunciation
must come from Hebrew sources, and not from Greek and Latin or other
languages. Not even Aramaic, that is so close to Hebrew, is a good
candidate, because of the phonological differences between the two
languages. So we must go to the text of the Tanach and see what we find -
and we find names.

In the ANE a name often was a whole sentence, and therefore the study of
names can tell us something regarding the verbal system of the language and
about the gods. Hebrew names often were clauses as well, so to study Hebrew
names in order to learn something about divine names is clearly legitimate.
(See J.D.Fowler (1988)."Theophoric Personal Names in Ancient Hebrew A
Comparative Study") According to Fowler there are 132 different names with
prefixed forms of YHWH and 507 with suffixed forms.

The prefix JO evidently is an abbreviation of JE:HO and the suffix YFH is an
abbreviation of YAHU. The important point is that a plene O occurs in the
second syllable when the first part of the divine name is not abbreviated.
That the vowel O occurs in the first syllable of an abbreviated form does
not lead us is another direction, because pronunciation should be construed
on the basis of the full form. The evidence of theophoric names is not
conclusive, but it is the best we have. And it suggests that the divine name
had at least three syllables and that the vowel of the second syllable was
O.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo