[b-hebrew] Theophoric Name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Sat Jan 7 16:18:19 EST 2006

Dear Harold,

You do not find real evidence regarding the pronunciation of the divine
name by stumbling "upon letters dating throughout the Persian occupation
period of Egypt".  Neither do you prove anything by quoting different
lexicons and writings from different dates and with different qualities,
or by quoting some of the so-called "Church Fathers".  If you are going
to make a case for the pronunciation of the Hebrew divine name, you have
to do that on the basis of *Hebrew* sources. And this you have not done!

Arguments must be evaluated on the basis of quality and not on the basis
of quantity.  Please give a scholarly answer to the following question:
In the Elephantine letters we find the letters YHW for the god that was
worshipped by the community. What are the Aramaic  (or Hebrew)
*phonological* reasons for pronouncing these three letters as YAHU?  Are
there any phonological reasons that forbids that the three letters are
consonants and that they were pronounciated YEHOWA, or YAHOWA, or
YEHOWE, or YAHOWA?

And further: Different Greek words are supposed to represent the divine
name in the writings of the Church Fathers. How can we distinguish
between the forms that represent YHWH and those that represent the
shortened Hebrew form YH? And how can we demonstrate a possible
phonological road from the theophoric element YE-HO or YA-HO in Hebrew
names to the different forms used by the Church Fathers?  You cannot
quote something here and another thing there according to what suits
you.  But you have to address the real questions in a scholarly way in
order to be taken seriously.

So please address the following point: I and others have shown that the
second syllable of the divine element in theophoric names in the Tanach
has the letter O and that the first syllable has E or A. Because the
second part of the divine name is written as WH, how can you reconcile
this with the two-syllabic Yahweh? Please argue on the basis of *Hebrew*
phonology, and note that the Greek evidence of the Church Fathers is not
pertinent, because we are discussing the numbers of syllables and the
phonology of Hebrew and not of Greek.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo