[b-hebrew] Theophoric Name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Fri Jan 6 11:55:26 EST 2006

Dear Harold,

See my comments below.

Harold Holmyard wrote:

>Dear Rolf,
>

>>Dear Karl,
>>
>>Your last words are true, we have no way to know the old pronunciation, or,
>>as one of the Israeli scholars on the list earlier suggested (I do not
>>remember who), the pronunciations. (Diachronically speaking a language and
>>word pronunciation tend to change.) The Masoretic shewa of the first
>>syllable need not show that the vowel of that syllable in B.C.E. would
>>resemble E, since the default prununciation of shewa in the days of the
>>Masorets (who used the shewa) was "A".
>>

>HH: Thanks for the reminder.
>

>>The theophoric names beginning in YEHO- contain the first part of the divine
>>name, and there is no way to know whether the O of the second syllable is an
>>original vowel or whether it represents the third letter (WAW) of YHWH. So,
>>only two things
>>seem to be quite certain, namely, that the name had three syllables and that
>>the vowel of the second syllable was O.
>>

>HH: You have confused me here. Are you saying that the Hebrew equivalent
>of Jehoiakim (the name in the subject header) had three syllables? Then
>you would not be counting the initial shewa as a syllable. This may be
>the way shewa is treated in counting meter. If the Massoretes pronounced
>the shewa as an "A," how would they have avoided  having four syllables?

Two modern forms of YHWH are used in Bible transltations, namely, Yahweh
and Jehovah. They have different vowels, and the first one has two
syllables while the second has three. My argument has been that Yahweh
can be excluded as a form close to the original for two principal
reasons, 1) It has no basis whatsoever in unpointed Hebrew texts or in
the Masoretic text, and 2) it has two syllables, while the theophoric
names suggest that YHWH had three syllables.

The divine name is found in three variants, in the Tanach as YHWH and
the shortened form YH (with qamets in MT), and in the Elephantine papyri
as YHW. The shortened form YH does not tell us anything about the number
of syllables in the full form, but the theophoric names do. It is clear
that the O in YE:HOYFKIN is the vowel of the second syllable of the
theophoric element in the name.  Two more letters occur in the divine
name (WH), but they are not included in the theophoric names. Regardless
of whether the O in the second syllable is an independent vowel or is
the consonat W of the divine name that now is read as a vowel,  there
must be one more syllable after  YE:HO.  Thus, the divine name must have
(at least) three syllables.  I am not saying that YE:HOYFKIN has three
syllables but that YHWH has three syllables.

The Aramaic form is often read as YAHU, but that is a conjecture, since
we do not know the vowels. We know that the ending of the qal form of
second person singular masculine QATAL in unpointed texts in most cases
ends with taw, and the qamets must be supplied. In some cases, however,
the forms end in taw he, and the he stands for the qamets.  This *may*
also be the case with YHW.  Because of the O of the second syllable and
the A or E of the first, likely readings of the divine name would be
YAHOWA, YAHOWE, YEHOWA, or YEHOWE. And the Elephantine YHW could signify
one of these if the last H of YHWH represented the vowel A. Therefore,
YHW could be the full consonantal form of the divine name.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo