[b-hebrew] Theophoric Name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

Jack Kilmon jkilmon at historian.net
Fri Jan 6 02:23:07 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph at email.com>
To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 12:43 AM
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Theophoric Name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

> Peter, Yigal et al:
>
> It is this "Yeho" pronunciation both as a prefix and a
> suffix that makes me suspect that the Name was originally
> pronounced as "Yehoha" or something similar.

I cannot help but notice, however, that when the theophoric is first, it is
usually "Yeho" as in Yehosef, Yehoykim, Yehoash..but when the theophoric is
last, it is usually "Yahu" as in Yeshayahu. Yirimyahu so there is some form
of lexical play with the waw.  I have always thought that YHWH was the
Hiph'l of the Aramaic (HWH) for of HYH ane perhaps sounded YeHAWA but I am
having second thoughts that the sounding of this name for God may not be in
Hebrew usage (which it predates) at all but in earlier Canaanite and perhaps
even Akkadian.

Jack

Jack Kilmon
San Marcos, Texas