[b-hebrew] Theophoric Name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Jan 6 01:43:39 EST 2006

Peter, Yigal et al:

It is this "Yeho" pronunciation both as a prefix and a
suffix that makes me suspect that the Name was originally
pronounced as "Yehoha" or something similar.

The argument that the waw and yod use as materes
lexionis was only a late development has been shown to
be mistaken, as there are examples of such in the Moabite
Mesha stone, as well as an example in late proto-Sinaitic.
However, such use became much more common later,
much much more common.

The lack of native speakers makes this question
impossible to insist that one's understanding is the
only one that is correct and all others false.

Karl W. Randolph.