[b-hebrew] Theophoric name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Tue Jan 3 20:22:41 EST 2006

On 03/01/2006 20:54, David P Donnelly wrote:

>Peter Kirk asks:
>

>In that case, where did the long O sound come from?
>This would not be inserted for purely phonetic reasons.
>It is surely derived from the W in YHWH,
>perhaps via an intermediate form in which the W was consonantal
>e.g. Yahweyaqim.
>

>I hope my next question is not too dumb.
>
>Is the prefix "YFH." compounded with "YFQIYM"
>by the insertion of a "holem waw" between "YFH." and "YFQIYM".
>
>If it is,  the "O" sound is simply the sound of the "holem waw" being
>used in the compounding process.
>
>The "O" sound would not be derived from the "W" in "YHWH",
>it would be derived from the "holem waw" introduced in the compounding
>process.

My point was that the "o" sound cannot come from the compounding
process. In English we sometimes insert "o" when meking compounds,
especially before Greek endings like "-logy", "-scope" etc. (in fact the
"o" was originally a Greek ending), but I don't think this is ever done
in Hebrew. It is much more likely that names like Yehoyaqim are derved
from the full form of YHWH prefixed to a word, with the final he (a
mater lectionis) dropped in the compounding process. At some point the
vav, originally consonantal, came to be pronounced as a vowel. At least,
this is what seems most likely to me.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/