[b-hebrew] Theophoric name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 20:06:53 EST 2006

          There is Akkadian evidence for the pronounciation of  such theophoric PNs including Yehoyakhin  ( really a variaton of the name discussed). It reads:  " ia -' - u' - kin "    cf. ANET 2 , p. 308. This was published some time ago, so there may be more up-to-date readings.

    Here the Waw serves already as a vowel. But one should keep in mind that this was written by an Akkadian scribe.

    Uri

   I stayed out of the last round on the pronunciation of God's name, and I
will this time as well. I'll just say that I assume that the Waw in YHWH was
consonantal, and later shifted to a vowel sound.

Yigal