[b-hebrew] Theophoric name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

David P Donnelly davedonnelly1 at juno.com
Tue Jan 3 15:54:33 EST 2006

Peter Kirk asks:

In that case, where did the long O sound come from?
This would not be inserted for purely phonetic reasons.
It is surely derived from the W in YHWH,
perhaps via an intermediate form in which the W was consonantal
e.g. Yahweyaqim.

I hope my next question is not too dumb.

Is the prefix "YFH." compounded with "YFQIYM"
by the insertion of a "holem waw" between "YFH." and "YFQIYM".

If it is,  the "O" sound is simply the sound of the "holem waw" being
used in the compounding process.

The "O" sound would not be derived from the "W" in "YHWH",
it would be derived from the "holem waw" introduced in the compounding
process.

Again I hope my question and my analysis is not too dumb.

Dave Donnelly