[b-hebrew] Theophoric Name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Tue Jan 3 15:23:46 EST 2006

On 03/01/2006 20:02, Yigal Levin wrote:

>>Y:HOWYFQIYM
>>[i.e. transliterated as Jehoiakim in my NIVIHEOT]
>>is a Theophoric name found at I Chronicles 3:15
>>Has this Compound Hebrew name been created by adding the prefix YFH.
>>(via a holem waw)
>>to YFQIYM
>>and in the process the "qamets" in YFH.
>>has become the simple shewa in Y:HOWYFQIYM
>>
>>Dave Donnelly
>>

>Dear Dave,
>
>The answer is yes. Just like in Yehonatan (Jonathan), Yehoram (Joram),
>Yehoahaz and a dozen other names.
>
>Yigal

In that case, where did the long O sound come from? This would not be
inserted for purely phonetic reasons. It is surely derived from the W in
YHWH, perhaps via an intermediate form in which the W was consonantal
e.g. Yahweyaqim.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/