[b-hebrew] Mashiach

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Wed Aug 30 18:06:13 EDT 2006

No, I don't see verses 1 - 13 referring to Mashiach.  And verse 13,
first part, is directed to Cyrus, not all of Israel, and second half
refers to what Cyrus will do, not Mashiach.

And remember, kings who were not Mashiach, were also annointed - that
is the reference in verse 1.

Dear Shoshanna,

Odd that you omitted Isaiah 45:1-13. That passage is a pretty good portrayal
of the job description of the Messiah, ????,    (o xristoj. He is to rebuild
Jerusalem and the temple, and set the exiles free (45:13).  That is why
Cyrus the Great receives that title in Isaiah 45:1.

Btw, meshach, ???, means "to smear".

Best,

Liz Fried

Ann Arbor