[b-hebrew] PS Re: Daniel 11:22

Yonah Mishael yonahmishael at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 14:09:25 EDT 2006

> HH: The idea of national redemption for Israel is not lost in the term
> Christ. Nor is the idea of Davidic kingship.

YM: More specifically, the Davidic kingship about which I am
commenting refers to the national king who reigns from Jerusalem.

Christ connotes a world savior rather than the Messiah who gathers
Israel in from exile.

> HH: Christ is the English translation of the Greek word CRISTOS, which
> was the translation for the Hebrew word MESHIACH. You are arguing about
> what you think each word connotes, but the translations are obvious. The
> content of the English word Christ comes from the revelation in the
> Bible given about this figure. Any other connotations the word may have
> are irrelevant to a Bible-believing person.

YM: Christ is an English *transliteration* (not translation). The
English translation of both משיח and χριστος is "anointed."

I am saying that the ideas associated with the two terms are
different, and this would be apparent to anyone with no theological
axe to grind.

--
Yonah Mishael ben Avraham
Joplin, MO