[b-hebrew] Oneness VS Trinity

Wayne Ingalls zechariah14 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 26 22:45:43 EDT 2006

Whatever one's theology, one must acknowledge this particular Scriptural use of the word echad.

  Shemot/Exodus 26:6  (JPS99) And make fifty gold clasps, and couple the cloths to one another with the clasps, so that the tabernacle becomes one whole (echad).

  Shemot/Exodus 36:13 (JPS99) And they made fifty gold clasps and coupled the units to one another with the clasps, so that the tabernacle became one whole (echad).

  Wayne

K Randolph <kwrandolph at gmail.com> wrote:   James:

While I am loathe to get into a theological argument, the strict
linguistic meaning of "one" in Hebrew is an argument neither for nor
against the trinitarian understanding of God. I agree with you that
the argument that 'echad' refers to a compound one is not supportable,
but the concept that God is a compound one is not based on this word,
rather on many other verses in both Tanakh and New Testament.

Karl W. Randolph.