[b-hebrew] Tetragrammaton

Edward Andrews edandrews at adelphia.net
Tue Aug 22 22:20:52 EDT 2006

Pawell:

As to the pronunciation “Jehovah;” as I brought out earlier, the origin of
the word Jehovah used to be attributed to Petrus Galatinus. However, the
scholarship has proved he was not the one to introduce the pronunciation
Jehovah, and neither was Porchetus de Salvaticis. As shown by Joseph Voisin,
the learned editor of the Pugio Fidei (The Poniard of Faith) by Raymundus
Martini, Jehovah had been used long before Galatinus. Even a generation
before Porchetus de Salvaticis wrote his Victoria contra Judaeos (1303), the
Spanish Dominican friar Raymundus Martini wrote his Pugio, about 1278, and
used the name Jehovah. In fact, Porchetus took the contents of his Victoria
largely from Martini’s Pugio. In addition, Scaliger proves that Galatinus
took his De Arcanis bodily from Martini’s Pugio. Galatinus did not introduce
the pronunciation Jehovah, but merely defended it against those who
pronounced the Hebrew Tetragrammaton Jova.

In the Hebrew language, “There are, generally speaking, two main
pronunciations: the Ashkenazi, or German, originated by central and Eastern
European Jews and carried to all countries to which those Jews have
emigrated (Western Europe, America, etc.); and the Sephardi, or Spanish,
used by Jews of Spanish or Portuguese stock in Europe and America and also
by Jews from Oriental countries. In all universities and throughout Israel,
the Sephardi pronunciation has been adopted, since it is generally believed
that this is the pronunciation nearest to the original.” (Biblical Hebrew
Step by Step, vol. 1, p 33, by Professor emeritus of Hebrew and Semitic
studies, Menahem Mansoor).

It is a well known fact, that the Ashkenazi Jews had changed the
pronunciation of the jod to that of the “y” sound. However, the Sephardic
Jews have kept the original pronunciation of the jod as “j.”

The first symbol representing both the “i” and “j” came into use around the
beginning of the 9th century C.E. In the late 11th century C.E. brought to
Saxon, England. Therefore, the first symbol representing the “j” sound was
in England 500 years before William Tyndale. Early in the 13th century the
lower case “j” was formed by adding a curl to the bottom of the small ”i.”
However, the Capital “J” would have to wait until the end of the 16th
century or the beginning of the 17th century. Thus, The capital “I” was
still used for the “J” sound when before a vowel.

Regardless of some letters of the English alphabet being invented in later
centuries, the sound that they represented were in place from the earliest
of times. Only the symbols that was used to represent the sound changed.

As has been said, Galatinus did not originate the pronunciation “Jehovah.”
However, Drusius put it out there, as though he did, although, years earlier
he had stated otherwise himself. Cappel, on the other hand perpetuated this
as a fact. A few quotes in encyclopedias and from well-known scholars and
you have a passing on of misinformation for so long, it is hardly observed
that it did not happen that way.

Ed Andrews