[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:5 - and ye shall be as gods

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Aug 18 08:28:47 EDT 2006

Dear Steven,

Sorry about the typos in the last post. I wanted
to add that the NET Bible translation demonstrated
  its awareness of the principle I talked about,
regarding the KJV comma in Gen 3:5 after "like
God," because the NET Bible removes that comma.
This allows an attributive sense to "knowing.' The
NET Bible has:

for God knows that when you eat from it your eyes
will open and you will be like divine beings who
know good and evil.”

HH: I would stay with the KJV comma that makes
knowing predicative, but I would identify 'elohim
with the same 'elohim that occurs in the previous
50 occurrences of the word in the Bible, the
Creator God. However, the other reading is
possible. So there are really three options here,
since the translation of 'elohim is a separate
issue from the handling of the participle.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard