[b-hebrew] Genesis 3:5 - and ye shall be as gods

schmuel schmuel at nyc.rr.com
Thu Aug 17 14:24:32 EDT 2006

Hi Folks,

Genesis 3:5 (KJB)
For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof,
then your eyes shall be opened,
and ye shall be as gods,
knowing good and evil.

   Surprisingly we apparently have not discussed this verse.

   Many translations have the second Elohim as "God", singular, although
much traditional Jewish exegesis (Targumim, Ibn Ezra, perhaps Rashi) supports
 the plural non-Deity usage of elohim, which was followed by Geneva and the
King James Bible.  Also many Jewish Bibles today (e.g. Soncino, JPS) as well
as Fox.  (I am especially curious about notes in ArtScroll and Living Torah,
and moderately interested in others, like Alter's translation here).

    Do you see anything special in the Hebrew that leans toward one
translation or another ?  Granted there are a lot of various doctrinal
aspects that could be offered, I don't mind hearing those either :-)

    Any thoughts ?
    Thanks.

Shalom,
Steven Avery