[b-hebrew] Hebrew "If-and" construction and the Book of Mormon

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 23:24:09 EDT 2006

Hi Kevin,

No, no quotation. Just my quick application of the study to the issue at
hand.

Here's what I'm saying: when comparing individual languages, their
coordinators/conjunctions will not always entirely match. That is, one
language may employ fewer coordinators/conjunctions whereas another may
employ more, the language employing fewer still expressing the same
functions as the other language albeit with forms that display greater
mutifunctionality/polyfunctionality. The BH coordinator/conjunction waw
is an example: it would seem to bear at least the range of functions
coordination-consecutive-resultative-adversative-disjunctive (plus some
other finer-grained distinctions). English has the words: "and", "then",
"so that", "but", "or" etc. So the BH "and" displays much greater
multifunctionality vis-a-vis to English "and". What this means in
regards to translation into English is that since English doesn't have a
single mutifunctional word covering the same semantics as BH "and", then
a choice has to often be made for another word, be it "so that", "but", etc.

Hope that helps.

David Kummerow.