[b-hebrew] Hebrew "If-and" construction and the Book of

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 19:04:38 EDT 2006

Cross-linguistically, some language coordinators/conjunctions commonly
group meanings which other languages choose to divide (see the reference
below). It is not uncommon for a single coordinator to group the
meanings "and", "sequential" (then), "resultative" (so that), etc. The
Morman translation, then, has failed to recognise that what Hebrew does
with the one coordinator/conjunction (waw) English regularly does with
two ("and", "then").

Malchukov, Andrej. 2004. “Towards a Semantic Typology of Adversative and
Contrast Marking.” Journal of Semantics 21: 177-198.

Regards,
David Kummerow.