[b-hebrew] Hebrew "If-and" construction and the Book of Mormon

Kevin Graham kevlds at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 12:32:38 EDT 2006

Maybe it is better if you guys read what he said. It is posted online here:
http://farms.byu.edu/display.php?table=jbms&id=167

Scroll down to the section “Non-English Hebraisms in the Original Text.”

Kevin Riley,

== Maybe it would pay to ask an English dialectologist whether this
construction was found in spoken English around 1830.

Good idea. Thus far, however, there hasn’t been any evidence that this
existed anywhere in the English language at any time. The KJV certainly
doesn’t retain these Hebraisms, and Smith was frequently accused of copying
from the KJV. So we know he couldn’t have derived this from the KJV, and he
certainly didn’t know Hebrew.

== Apart from that, it may just be another 'biblicism' designed to give the
BoM an ancient/holy feel.

Possibly, but Smith would first have to know that an 1f-and construction
would create that “feel.”

== Proving that the hypothetical writer of an unexaminable text did or did
not speak ancient Hebrew is a bit beyond the
capabilities of this list.

You’re right. I was just giving an overview here. What I would like from you
guys is an outside perspective on the claims ofteh Hebrew. Is this the norm
in Hebrew? Is it common in the Hebrew Bible?

== If the translators of the KJV knew enough to translate as "if .. then",
then I would have thought that inspired translation would have been a little
more accurate and a little less literal but I don't claim to be an expert on
inspiration.

Good point. However the same person who wrote that article has also argued
that a literal word for word translation is what the translation process
(according to eye-witnesses) seems to indicate.