[b-hebrew] Septuagintal influence on Masoretic Hebrew text

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Sun Aug 13 14:06:47 EDT 2006

On 13 Aug 2006 at 11:03, Eric Weiss wrote:

> In its appendix on manuscripts used for both the Hebrew Scriptures (OT) and
> the Greek (NT) Scriptures, a New Testament I was perusing makes the following
> statements:
>

> "The Hebrew version in circulation today, the so-called Massoretic (sic)
> Text, is chiefly a re-translation of the Septuagint into Medieval Hebrew
> that was produced in stages between the 2nd and 9th centuries and upon
> which the Old Testament King James Version is based.... The
> Massoretic (sic) Text is partly a restoration of these six translations
> [i.e., Aquila (A.D. 130), Theodotion (A.D. 180), Symmachus (A.D. 210),
> and the so-called Quinta, Sexta, and Septima (all 3rd century)] as well."
>

> If I am correctly understanding this, they are saying that the Hebrew Masoretic
> text is in large part a re-translation from a Septuagintal/Greek text. How valid is
> this claim? It's the first time I've heard/read such a thing. If it's a false or
> erroneous claim, where can I find sources/documentation to disprove it?

Who published this New Testament you're looking at?  If the MT is a translation of the LXX
it's a lousy one, because the LXX differs frequently from the MT in some pretty serious
ways.  And the language of the MT is definitely NOT Medieval Hebrew.  Sounds to me like
you've got somebody's unsupported propaganda in your hands.

Dave Washburn
Encephaloriasis: That condition generated when the person you are dealing with is so
incredibly stupid, you can actually feel your own brain cells drying up and flaking off.