[b-hebrew] ehyeh in Ex. 3.14 and the LXX translation

Mitch Larramore mitchlarramore at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 14:08:00 EDT 2006

Is ehyeh in the Hebrew in a predicate position (as
in... I am ehyeh)? The LXX translate this EGW EIMI hO
WN (where the name appears to be hO WN, not EGW EIMI),
but I think I was told that the Hebrew expression here
for the name of YHWH is not in a predicate position.
Can somebody please school me on the grammar here? Why
did the LXX translators use a predicate construct?
(Also, it would seem to me that the LXX translators
would have used hO WN with reference to YHWH when they
translated Isaiah, but you find EGW EIMI.) Any help
would be appreciated.

Mitch Larramore
Sugar Land, Texas