[b-hebrew] theophoric prefixes (YH~YHW)

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Wed Aug 9 03:00:43 EDT 2006

 The epigraphic evidence, while limited, does show that at least for
suffixes the preference in Israel was YW (such as the in the Samaria Ostraca
names GDYW and $MRYW), while the preference in pre-exilic Judah was YHW.
This probably has to do with the same diphtong contraction shown in other
words in Israelean inscriptions, such as YN for "wine" instead of YYN.
Post-exilic
 Judah prefered YH.
The forms given in the Bible are no proof of anything, since the Bible is
Judahite, and even the "pre-exilic" books were as least heavily edited in
the post-exilic period.

 All this was noted by Tur-Sinai decades ago, when he published the Lachish
ostraca found in the 1930's.

 Yigal Levin