[b-hebrew] 2300 evening - mornings

Joel Stucki joel at stucki.ws
Mon Aug 7 23:07:09 EDT 2006

On 8/6/06, Steve Miller <smille10 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> In Dan. 8:13-14: the 2300 evening & mornings are from when to when?
>

> Benjamin Newton says it is the time from the restoration of the daily
> sacrifice until the temple is cleansed.
>
> Is it possible for the 2300 evening-mornings to be just from the restoration
> of the daily sacrifice until it is stopped?
>

> 13  'And I hear a certain holy one speaking, and a certain holy one saith to
> the wonderful numberer who is speaking: Till when is the vision of the
> continual sacrifice, and of the transgression, an astonishment, to make both
> sanctuary and host a treading down?
>
> 14  And he saith unto me, Till evening-morning two thousand and three
> hundred, then is the holy place declared right. (YLT)

First of all I want to say that I personally have no specific
religious interpretation of these very controversial verses so I don't
really have any agenda I am pushing here.
It seems to me the most plain rendering of what is intended is:

Daniel asks until when is the vision of:
1. [the lack of] daily sacrifice
2. Giving of an abomination of desolation [in place of the sacrifice]
3. [The defilement of] the sanctuary
4. The trodding down army or host

He is answered 2300 "evening mornings" and then the sanctuary is cleansed.

The grammar is problematic with the KJV rendering which most
translations seem to follow. Why the vav before QDW$ in 13 (translated
as 'both' in KJV)? No direct object marker either. This is why I put
TT with the preceding words. I looked for any concurring translations
on this and found NAB had done the same. Seems to make the most sense
to me.

I kind of like what NAB did on verse 12 as well. It strengthens the
association of the NTN verb with P$).

I am certainly willing to hear other ideas. Especially if someone can
point to similar constructions of a compound direct object sans marker
with both preceded with a vav in the sense of both ... and ...

Joel Stucki