[b-hebrew] theophoric prefixes (YH~YHW)

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 19:15:06 EDT 2006

Gene:

That is my question too.

Why is it that when the name stands alone, the first heh is considered
a mater lectionis, while the waw a consonant? Why not the other way
around, that the heh is a consonant and the waw a mater lectionis? Is
that not what the theophoric element implies?

For my 2¢, was the original pronunciation akin to "Ya ho' he"?

Karl W. Randolph.