[b-hebrew] Joshua Blau

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 3 18:00:08 EDT 2006

His volume of collected essays---Topics in Hebrew and Semitic
Linguistics---is worthwhile having, depending on what you do.

His grammar is good to have if you like having grammars around, but
since he has a new one coming, it seems, I'd probably wait and have a
look at that.

Other worthwhile works, although not all dealing with things Arabic, are:

Blau, Joshua. 1954. “Zum angeblichen Gebrauch von את vor dem Nominativ.”
Vetus Testamentum 4: 7-19.
Blau, Joshua. 1956. “Gibt es ein emphatisches ’et im Bibelhebraeisch.”
Vetus Testamentum 6: 211-212.
Blau, Joshua. 1957. “Über die t-Form des hif‘il im Bibelhebräisch.”
Vetus Testamentum 7: 385-388.
Blau, Joshua. 1997. “וסעיפיה המקרא עברית השתלשלות על ערביסטן של הרהוריו
[The Structure of Biblical and Dead Sea Scrolls Hebrew in Light of
Arabic Diglossia and Middle Arabic].” Lĕšonénu 60: 21-32.
Blau, Joshua. 2006. “Problems of Noun Inflection in Arabic: Reflections
on the Diptote Declension.” Pages 27-31 in Biblical Hebrew in Its
Northwest Semitic Setting: Typological and Historical Perspectives.
Edited by Steven E. Fassberg and Avi Hurvitz. Jerusalem: Magnes.

Regards,
David Kummerow.