[b-hebrew] Genesis 8:22

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Sun Apr 30 20:51:40 EDT 2006

Dear Yitzhak,

> That is, until the 20th
> century, only migratory forms of doves, namely the turtledove,
> were known in Israel.

HH: Well if that is true, this fact answers your original question about
why Jer 8:7 would mention doves in a context of migration.

> In your message, you referenced your reply to Karl. Was that
> meant as a response to my analysis of Psalm 104, or as
> additional information on Jer 8:7?

HH: If you read the post, you will see that it has information on both
passages.

HH: As far as your analysis of Ps 104 goes, I can't speak to it since
you only shared part of it, but what you did share is not bad. You say:

In these two cases we seem to be able to discern the main theme of the
poem: praising god for creating the earth suitable for man.

HH: The psalmist does praise God for that, of course, and all the praise
in the psalm is a reflection of that. But some things don't relate
directly to our having a place suitable for us. For example, the sea
monsters that frolic in the water do not necessarily make the world any
more suitable for man. The point is that their frolicking magnifies the
wisdom of God, who displays his glory through them. The birds singing in
the branches are happy birds. God gave them a suitable home. The psalm
is not just about God providing for man but for all creatures:

Psa. 104:27 These all look to you to give them their food at the proper
time.
Psa. 104:28 When you give it to them, they gather it up; when you open
your hand, they are satisfied with good things.
Psa. 104:29 When you hide your face, they are terrified; when you take
away their breath, they die and return to the dust.
Psa. 104:30 When you send your Spirit, they are created, and you renew
the face of the earth.

HH: Man is one of the creatures that look to God. "These all" in 104:27
looks back to previously mentioned creatures, the inclusion probably
going back to the first mention of creatures in verse 11. And the
immediately preciding verse 26 speaks of both ships and sea monsters.

HH: The psalm is about the glory of God displayed in the earth, His
great wisdom seen in all things, whether or not they directly benefit
man. The Lord takes delight in them all as His works:

Psa. 104:31 May the glory of the LORD endure forever; may the LORD
rejoice in his works —

HH: I think verse 31 takes us back to the beginning of the psalm, where
God is praised for His splendor and majesty, which are seen in His creation:

Psa. 104:1 Praise the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, you are very
great; you are clothed with splendor and majesty.
Psa. 104:2 He wraps himself in light as with a garment; he stretches out
the heavens like a tent
Psa. 104:3 and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters. He
makes the clouds his chariot and rides on the wings of the wind.
Psa. 104:4 He makes winds his messengers, flames of fire his servants.
Psa. 104:5 He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard