[b-hebrew] Genesis 8:22

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 08:03:10 EDT 2006

Dear Harold,

In my post, I said that not all species of doves migrate.  The
dove I was referring to was the "collared dove", streptopelia
decaocto.  It seems to have expanded from its original habitat
only in the 20th century, however.  That is, until the 20th
century, only migratory forms of doves, namely the turtledove,
were known in Israel.  The Israelites seem to have distinguished
between the "dove"/tor and the "pigeon"/yonah.  Also, the
"mourning dove" appears not to be found in Israel.  So be
careful when making generalizations about the "mourning"
sound of pigeons and doves.

http://www.arthurgrosset.com/europebirds/collareddove.html
http://my.ort.org.il/holon/birds/aj1.html (turtledove)
http://my.ort.org.il/holon/birds/aj6.html (collared dove)
http://tinyurl.com/nuz3w (distribution of mourning doves)

In your message, you referenced your reply to Karl.  Was that
meant as a response to my analysis of Psalm 104, or as
additional information on Jer 8:7?

Yitzhak Sapir
http://toldot.blogspot.com