[b-hebrew] Genesis 8:22

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Wed Apr 26 10:01:55 EDT 2006

Dear Karl,

>An argument could be made based on Genesis 1:14,
>when God created the sun, moon and stars, that
>seasons were mentioned, but the Hebrew does not say
>seasons (as in summer, fall, winter and spring)
>rather just times, appointed celebrations, years
>and other are mentioned. The implication that I
>draw from that omission is that the seasons didn't
>exist until after the flood. Before the flood, all
>time was harvest time, after the flood, there was
>a particular harvest time, before no winter, after
>winter cut off vegetative growth, and so forth.

HH: The word  MW(D ("time") clearly can refer to the seasons of nature.
In Jer 8:7 it refers to the migration season for birds. In Ps 104:19 it
refers to nature's seasons:

Psa. 104:18 The high mountains belong to the wild goats; the crags are a
refuge for the coneys.
Psa. 104:19 The moon marks off the seasons, and the sun knows when to go
down.
Psa. 104:20 You bring darkness, it becomes night, and all the beasts of
the forest prowl.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard