[b-hebrew] Bless

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Apr 24 16:15:19 EDT 2006

That's exactly what it means: "bless". In Hebrew, like in English, the word
"bless" has a number of different connotations. When God blesses someone, he
makes things better. When a human blesses, he calls on God to make things
better. When a human blesses God, he actually praises and thanks Him. And
"bless" is also occasionally used as a euphemism for "curse".

The noun "berekh" also means "knee", which can be given a verb-form "to
kneel". I have heard it assumed that there is a connection, that is, a
person bends his "berekh" when "barekh"ing God, but that's probably popular
folk etymology.

Yigal