[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form,

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Fri Apr 21 05:01:11 EDT 2006

On 20/04/2006 06:26, Karl Randolph wrote:
> Oh man, the things we end up discussing on this
> group    ;-)
>
> Doing a googlewhack on dendrochronology, and
> looking at a few sites, dendrochronology has the
> same faults that beset other non-historical dating
> methods.
>
> 1) it is based on uniformitarianism. In the case of
> dendrochronology, we have no records that the
> climate has remained constant during the period
> those trees grew.

This is not true. I am not an expert on this either, but I know more
than a little from Google searches. I am almost certain that there is no
assumption that the climate has remained constant, only that, as God
promised, the sequence of summer and winter, each once per year, has
continued. So there is no reliance on uniformitarianism, only on what
God has promised.

> 2) Only one ring is added per year. Yet it is known
> that, under the right conditions, trees can add two
> rings per year.

Yes, this is an assumption, and not always a valid one.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/