[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form,

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Apr 19 21:26:24 EDT 2006

Oh man, the things we end up discussing on this
group    ;-)

Doing a googlewhack on dendrochronology, and
looking at a few sites, dendrochronology has the
same faults that beset other non-historical dating
methods.

1) it is based on uniformitarianism. In the case of
dendrochronology, we have no records that the
climate has remained constant during the period
those trees grew.

2) Only one ring is added per year. Yet it is known
that, under the right conditions, trees can add two
rings per year.

In the case of the bristlecone pines, from the
articles linked to by HH, apparently the rings are
hard to read.

Adding the three together, even if only 10% of the
years the climatic conditions favored adding two
rings, that would put the oldest trees as first
generation growth after the flood, as per Ussher's
dating. But we don't know, because we cannot go
back to observe the climatic conditions for the
years in question. As for older dates, even the
linked articles admitted that they cannot be
connected to the dates from living trees.

Bottom line, any date derived from
uniformitarianism ought to be taken as
questionable. That is also why they should
not be taken as reasons to question Biblical
dates.

Karl W. Randolph.