Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Wed Apr 19 18:50:44 EDT 2006

Dear Bill,

>>HH: But this tree from the Methuselah Grove is apparently not that old.
>>The figure given is five thousand years in a PBS program. However, a
>>scientist has recently discovered one older, but I don't know how much:
>>http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/2817methuselah.html
>>http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/methuselah/
>>http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/methuselah/explore.html
>>
>>HH: Actually the age seems to be 4,798 years for the well-known one:
>>
>>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1998/08/23/SC7
>>2173.DTL
>>

>We're talking about different trees. The code of the one discussed in the
>URL immediately above is given in the article as WPN-114, which is a
>Wheeler Peak number. I'm talking about CA-535 as published by Donald
>Graybill in 1980. I downloaded a copy of the data less than three weeks
>ago. It has 7,980 annual data points. Graybill doesn't get a mention in
>the article in the URL.
>
>The point still stands. Those who wish to understand the text to support a
>view that the earth was created around 4,000 BC and underwent a literal
>Noah's flood are stuck with the uncomfortable fact that some trees are
>then older than the earth on which they grow and survived being under
>water for perhaps half a year or so.

HH: The article in the last link above talks about two trees and so can
be confusing. The WPN-114 was named Prometheus, which was the oldest
tree before it was cut down. The oldest now is called Methuselah, and it
is discussed at the start of the article. Donald Graybill is mentioned
in connection with Prometheus, as this excerpt from Wikipedia shows:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr

Prometheus however, grew in an area reachable only by off-trail hiking.
In either 1958 or 1961, a group of naturalists who admired the grove in
which the tree grew gave names to a number of the largest or most
distinctive trees, including Prometheus[1]. The designation of WPN-114
was given by the original researcher, Donald R. Currey, and refers to
the 114th tree sampled by him for his research in Nevada's White Pine
county.
The ring count of a section of the tree by Currey was 4844. A few years
later, this was increased to 4862 by Donald Graybill of the University
of Arizona's Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research. However, the ring counts
were done on a trunk cross section taken about 2.5 m (8 feet) above the
original germination point of the tree, because the innermost rings were
missing below that point. Adding in the years required to reach this
height, plus a correction for the estimated number of missing rings
(which are not uncommon in trees growing at treeline), it is probable
that the tree was at least 5000 years old when cut. This makes it the
oldest unitary (i.e non-clonal) organism ever known, exceeding the
Methuselah tree of the White Mountains' Schulman Grove, in California by
about 200 years.

HH: Both the link above and the Wikipedia article indicate that
Methusaleh is the oldest bristlecone pine now that Prometheus is dead
and gone. So does the PBS material. I searched for such information as
you suggest and did find this:
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:7g03TY_jcx0J:www.ltrr.arizona.edu/~hal/tancient.pdf++%22Donald+Graybill+%22++oldest+bristlecone+pine&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3

My friends, C. W. Ferguson, V. C. LaMarche, Jr., Donald Graybill and
Gary Funkhouserwere the scientists that extended the records of past
climate from both the high and low elevation bristlecone pine thousands
of years back in time to 6700 BC.

HH: But the article did not go into more detail. Maybe Dr. Graybill had
some theoretical conclusions. I heard about dates going way back that
rely on dates supplied by two different trees, so maybe it was something
like that.

HH: For a consolation prize, I found this extremely interesting article,
though it is not related to our topic, or even Hebrew:

http://pop.org/main.cfm?id=159&r1=1.00&r2=3.00&r3=99.00&r4=.05&level=4&eid=213

Yours,
Harold Holmyard