[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form,

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Tue Apr 18 23:32:27 EDT 2006

Dear Bill,

>>>I know of know of no facts that mankind is > 6K years old.
>>>

>>How about some trees? There's a bristlecone pine from the
>>Methuselah Walk in California that was 7,980 years old in 1979.
>>Its hard to have a tree is older than the earth it lives on :-)
>>It survived Noah's flood too! I've worked on that data and
>>the famous Campito Mountain bristlecone pine data too. It's
>>not quite as old -- 5,405 years in 1969.

HH: But this tree from the Methuselah Grove is apparently not that old.
The figure given is five thousand years in a PBS program. However, a
scientist has recently discovered one older, but I don't know how much:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/2817methuselah.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/methuselah/
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/methuselah/explore.html

HH: Actually the age seems to be 4,798 years for the well-known one:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1998/08/23/SC72173.DTL

Yours,
Harold Holmyard