[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Mon Apr 17 14:50:37 EDT 2006

On 17/04/2006 18:30, Steve Miller wrote:

> [Steve Miller] None of these are _facts_ that mankind is > 6K years old. All
> the radioactive dating methods assume a constant rate of radiation into the
> earth's atmosphere, which is a false and unreasonable assumption.
> I know enough to tell that such things are not scientific or logical. ...

It may be an assumption if extrapolated over thousands of years, but it
is a reasonable assumption which has not been shown to be false.
Radiocarbon dating has been applied to and calibrated from objects of
known historical age, as well as through tree ring data. I doubt if many
historical dates before about 500 BC are known well enough to be useful
for calibration, but if something can be shown to have been true
consistently for the last 2500 years, it is a reasonable if unproven
assumption that it has been true for at least 6000 years.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/