[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Mon Apr 17 11:10:01 EDT 2006

On 17/04/2006 15:35, Steve Miller wrote:
>>> Mankind and
>>> the present living land animals, however, are 6,000 years old.
>>>

>> I am not sure whether your last sentence is intended to be a statement
>> of fact or only of what "Gap theory" claims, but there is ample
>> archaeological and geological evidence that this is factually incorrect.
>>

> I know of know of no facts that mankind is > 6K years old.

Vast amounts of human bones, as well as tools, art etc etc, radiocarbon,
stratigraphically and climatologically dated to tens of thousands of
years old? Yes, I accept that radiocarbon dating is not always reliable,
nor are stratigraphy and palaeo-climatology. But do you know enough
about these disciplines to judge whether the results they give can be
trusted or not? I don't claim that I do, but I do trust those who
present the evidence.

I had better not go into this in any more detail in this forum. But
presuppositions about such matters can skew our interpretations of Hebrew.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/