[b-hebrew] The Explicative use of wayyiqtol

moon at sogang.ac.kr moon at sogang.ac.kr
Mon Apr 17 03:06:55 EDT 2006

Hi,

there have been many and in depth discussions on the sequential nature of

WAYYIQTOL.  The following is the quote from the archive of this list
written by

Prof. Niccacci:

 The information conveyed by this wayyiqtol is USUALLY
ALSO
preceding
wayyiqtol; however, there are cases of explicative wayyiqtol as
well as of
resumptive wayyiqtol. This fact does not contradict the claim
that
wayyiqtol is sequential; it only qualifies it.

--------------------------------

I would accept the above explanation about the "resumptive" wayyitol,
because

the resumption starts a new sequence. Though not explicitly mentioned
above

I would accept the "summarizing" use of wayyiqtol, because the
summarizing

is a sort of conclusion which is a sort of logical entailment, which involves

a kind of sequence.

But, it is beyond my imagination how the explicative use of wayyiqtol

only qualifies the sequential nature of wayyiqtol. For example

consider Num 1:47-54.

 The families of the tribe of Levi, however, were not counted (X + QATAL
) along with the others.
 48 The LORD had said to Moses
(WAYYIQTOL):
 49-53 "You must not count the tribe of Levi or include
them in the census of the other Israelites. ......."

 54 The Israelites did  (WAYYIQTOL) all this just as the LORD
commanded Moses.

Verse 54 is an example of summarizing use of wayyiqtol, which summarizes

all things mentioned  in the chapter 1 before that verse. So, verse 54
is not a part of

a sequence started by WAYYIQTOL of verse 48. So, we have here a
stand-alone

single WAYYIQTOL. A stand-alone single WAYYIQTOL cannot form a
sequence,

which requires at least two WAYYITOLs.

Can anyone explain this passage within the framework that WAYYIQTOL
is

sequential in a "broad sense" or a "qualified sense" to use Niccacci's
words?

Moon-Ryul Jung

Sogang Univ,

Seoul, Korea