[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sun Apr 16 21:20:27 EDT 2006

Doug:

There is reading the text, and there is
interpreting the text.

Among some my Jewish colleagues here, there is
Pshat, Remez, Drush and Sod interpretations of the
text. They would claim that I give priority to
Pshat interpretations.

What we discuss here is the reading of the text,
not the interpretations. For example, the
secularist will interpret the text of Genesis 1
completely differently than a Christian literalist.
The secularist will bring in his theories of the
Yahwist, Elohimist, redaktor and priestly strains
found in the text. The literalist will reject those
theories as a bunch of ..... . Then there are those
who try to make the whole a type of parable or
something like that. What we try to do here is
merely to give the linguistic reading of what the
text says, not the various interpretations that
different people have.

Then you bring in findings from outside the text.
That can be problematic. For example, you mention
the frozen animals found in Siberia and Alaska.
Most Christian literalists believe those are the
detritus left behind by the world wide flood that
Noah lived through, or possibly a later event, such
as what may have happened during the long day of
Joshua. You seem to have a different read on them
than most Christian literalists. I am not here on
this list to say that you are wrong (though I may
think that privately), rather that you are bringing
in an interpretation from outside the text itself.

In closing, I don't want to get into a long winded
discussion of various interpretations of the text
on this list, rather to limit myself to the reading
according to linguistic principles. Interpreting is
to be left to after the text has been analyzed.

Yours respectfully, Karl W. Randolph.