[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

Revdpickrel at wmconnect.com Revdpickrel at wmconnect.com
Sat Apr 15 21:24:26 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/15/2006 7:22:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
kwrandolph at email.com writes:

> The text of Genesis 1 says that darkness preceded the light. Then for two
> days the light came from ...?? The text does not say. From the third day and
> later it came from the sun. Isaiah 45:7 is a poetic statement, not one that
> give the order of creation.

Sorry Karl, I don't intend to take this off line.  I use the reply button and
this returns it to sender.

To properly understand biblical text you must compare Scripture to Scripture.
 What sometimes seems out of place or as "figurative language" really goes
with another passage somewhere else.  God gave us His record, not in
chronological order but to different people in visions and night dreams and they reported
what they saw.  Now then its up to us to work at putting these things
together.  If you're to quick to judge you miss something very critical.

I believe God created the heaven and the earth just as it report in Genesis
1.  I don't believe it was created in any other condition other then complete
in totality, not lifeless and still, not invisible and unfurnished, but
complete with life and everything that goes with that.

Yes, I believe by comparing Scripture to Scripture that a form of man existed
on earth in Genesis 1:1, not a man like us created in the image of God but a
man nevertheless, and animals, oh yes, those prehistoric creatures as well,
dragons, etc.

Now I believe from Scripture that about one third of the heavenly host that
God had created lived upon the earth at that time, and their leader, one of the
arch angels decided to lift himself above the recesses of the north and above
the Throne of God and that resulted in heavenly war at which time God came
clothed in darkness and defeated this rebel and secured him in the deep.

Many of the prophets saw these in visions, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Haggi, and so
forth.  But we dismiss these visions as "figurative language" and never match
them to their proper place in Scripture and miss the full picture.

You see, God in his anger shook the earth nearly six thousand years ago and
Isaiah said He emptied it, turned it upside down.  We know this is true because
there has been discoveries of tropical fish and animals frozen with tropical
food still in their stomachs.

I admire you for reading your Hebrew Tanakh, but reading it isn't enough if
you don't understand what you're reading and dismiss important messages as
"figurative language".

The OT does gives many shadows and types and these are there to teach us
something.  A parable is a story that teaches a truth, so 'figurative language' is
teaching a truth.  You need to figure out what that truth is.  And that is
done by comparing Scripture to Scripture, and spiritual things to spiritual
things.

Doug.
Rev. Doug Pickrel, Litt.D.
Tejas Valley