[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Sat Apr 15 14:29:38 EDT 2006

On 15/04/2006 19:17, Karl Randolph wrote:
> Peter:
>
> If you can find an example of "day" in the context
> of a number describing the "day" where the context
> indicates that it refers to something other than
> the equivalent of a 24 hour day, then you can say
> that Biblical Hebrew practice was different than
> modern English. I know of no such examples. I also
> believe that the English practice was influenced by
> Biblical Hebrew through early translations.
>
> The observation is that every time a number is
> used to describe day(s) that "day" refers to the
> equivalent of 24 hours or a part thereof.
>
> My evidence is Tanakh.

It is a well known logical fallacy to argue that something is
universally true on the basis of a rather small number of examples of it
being true, taken in this case from a limited corpus - even supposing it
is true of every case in the corpus. Besides, this is poetic or
semi-poetic language in which the meaning of words can always be
stretched beyond their regular dictionary definitions.

Anyway, how about Zechariah 14:7, where the yom exad, is clearly the
same yom as in v.6 and v.8 where the "day" embraces summer and winter
and so is more than 24 hours long. And what about 2 Chronicles 21:19,
where yamim shenayim is often understood as "two years".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/