[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Sat Apr 15 06:02:58 EDT 2006

On 15/04/2006 01:45, Karl Randolph wrote:

> I said that God created the world lifeless and
> still, then added motion. One aspect of the motion
> is light (I have an uncle who was a physicist, he
> assures me light is caused by the motion of matter) ...

As a former physicist myself, I would want to qualify that as depending
on one's definition of "matter". Light is caused by the motion of
particles, photons, which also have wave-like properties. But these
particles have zero rest mass, in other words they are pure energy and
so at least in popular terms not matter at all. Light can also be
generated by matter in motion, if that is what your uncle meant, but,
according to those same physicists, not all light is so generated - some
is left over from the Big Bang having been created directly as photons.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/