[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Apr 14 20:45:01 EDT 2006

Doug:

You are older than I, and I am no spring chicken.

In Genesis 1:2, the words translated as "waste and
void" are "THW WBHW" (commonly pronounced tohu
ubohu). BHW occurs only three times in the Hebrew
Old Testament, each time in connection with THW.
THW is used to describe formed idols that are
lifeless and other lifeless, formed objects. BHW
appears in context to refer to the stillness of
that which is lifeless.

I said that God created the world lifeless and
still, then added motion. One aspect of the motion
is light (I have an uncle who was a physicist, he
assures me light is caused by the motion of matter)
and another is that God set the world to spinning.
History changes things: one thing that is true one
time is not predictive of what will be at another
time. Just because the world was still before light
was created, does not mean that it will not be
spinning after light is created. On the third day
and later, he added life forms as well. Thus, when
he finished his creating, Genesis 2:1-3, he had a
life filled, active world, as Isaiah 45:18
describes. Genesis 1:1 - 2:4 is the narration of
the steps God took to make the universe.

As I earlier told Harold Holmyard, I don't care
what other translators have written. Translators,
as a group, tend not to be that great of Hebrew
scholars, and they tend to be rather cautious, not
willing to get out of the rut plowed by the KJV.
They are correctly fearful that if they deviate too
much from the KJV, their translations may not sell.
I, as a Hebrew scholar, am not familiar with the
KJV and less familiar with any other translation,
therefore read it according to what the Hebrew says.

Karl W. Randolph.